On Thursday I finished the smaller piece, "Shifting Lands" and today I finished "Mother of Mountains." Now I really need to wrap up the other two smaller paintings. All four of these pieces come from an Armenian myth of how Mount Ararat and Mount Aragats were separated. They are the first of several pieces which use Armenian myths to illustrate Armenia moving forward.
This week, I have been working on the abstract and major painting of my latest concept. While working on the smaller abstract, I realized that the central figure bears a striking similarity to my Eve, from the triptych that started my series. Even Eric made note of this when he saw my Wednesday progress. Like my "woman," I wanted this figure to feel like she is made of earth. This idea for this concept comes from an Armenian myth of how Mount Ararat and Mount Aragats where pushed apart to reveal the fertile vale in-between.
I have made the final alterations to finish my triptych painting.
Here is an update to my Thingyan triptych. With any luck, I will finish it this weekend.
After taking quite the break from oil painting, I have started work again. I needed this break to explore other mediums and techniques. This also allowed me to step back and decide if I really wanted to continue painting. So here is the current progress on my "Thingyan" triptych.
My newest ceramic forms are far superior to my prototype. I guess that is the purpose of prototypes. Pictured above, are the fully shaped leather hard pieces with the black engobes. From here I will scraped the design out of the black, and follow-up with the bisque and glaze firing. I will also etch and ink a continuation of the design from the ceramic onto the recycled glass bottle.
Here is my ceramic form which will fit around one of the wine bottle vases. Once it dries I will apply a black underglaze and use a Sgraffito technique, scratching out a design with will compliment the inked glass etching on the bottle.
It is rather exciting to be working with ceramics again. Though this is not my strongest art medium these ceramic shades will be perfect for my two Amberd Surp lamps. The glass etching from my previous post will be turned into the body and lighted area for one of these lamps. I cannot wait to see these completed.
It has been a while since I posted. I just finished this inked glass etching from a photo I took at the Amberd Fortress. I am looking at options for how to finish out some of these upcycled glass pieces. I am thinking some sort of lamp would be neat.
To stay on schedule, I will have another couple ink drawings going up before the month.
It is etched and inked! After tossing around ideas for the method, subject matter then composition, I eventually started work on this project. This is the final result of my re-connection with the States.
With the arrival of my paintings I decided it was necessary to work back into this piece. I brought a bit more warmth into the figure which was lost along the way. I also softened her features and form to give her a more feminine appearance. When I receive my new camera battery I will update the photo with one of better quality.
The smaller shipment of our belongings will arrive tomorrow including my barn window which I packed away about a month ago. Happy Anniversary to me! Though I planned to complete the Americana work while we were still back in the States, it has dragged out a bit. Here are the pastel studies I did for the piece. I am finishing the ink studies so I should be able to work into the window this week!
This was my first experiment with the etched and inked glass. I cleared the remaining glue residue with a lemon and started with a freshly charged battery making the process far more successful. For the inking process I tossed the brayer aside remembering that with intaglio I used scrap beveled mat board. As I do not have mat board here with me I beveled off a strip of the cardboard backing from my sketch book. This worked great!
The idea behind all of this was Eric's suggestion to work directly on the glass instead of creating something behind the old window. In keeping with my love for ink I decided I would etch ad ink the glass. This is the first experimentation after research and tossing ideas about. I figured that a tree was the easiest image to free hand and I used an old dressing bottle. This meant no purchase of glass was necessary and who does not love recycled ideas?
Why am I clever? I would like to think that I invented a new art technique from my understanding of printmaking merged with glass etching. Though the reality is it has probably already been done and I have just never seen it.
Here in DC I have the great luck of a fantastic view though our floor to ceiling windows in our temporary flat. Though our time here is brief I appreciate the natural light and inspiration. With my window project (see former post), part of this city architecture will fill the right side panels while a silo will fill the left. This juxtaposition of environments draws from the rural area I grew up in and a city I will be repeatedly passing through. Tomorrow I will do more experimentation with etching and inking glass and another sketch.
Driving through the snow covered landscape out to my childhood home I felt a sweet nostalgia. So many memories came back seeing this area again after being away for more than two years. With my time here in the States I have taken the opportunity to rework this website and begin an Americana series. There will be a few more updates to come to the site including the build out of my "Where in the World" gallery. As for this new series I will be creating one of these pieces on each return to the US from my travel. What will make these pieces really unique will be the framing in windows from one of my late grandfather's old barns. In the coming weeks I will post this project.